Rants and Raves

Monday, May 16, 2005

Sitting in all my school of medicine curriculum planning meetings,
I think to myself, "Why do we always seek leadership from everybody for everything and everywhere?"

Not everyone can be a leader, or even needs to be a leader.
I think we often forget that most people in life are actually followers.

Relatively few people get to ascend to the top and make all the decisions. So why don't any universities or organizations seek people that will be good followers?

I don't dispute that most people benefit from some leadership training. Even people who will never assume leadership roles may develop more initiative simply by learning more about how leaders should think.

But I think one of the problems in our country today is that
there are too many leaders (or wanna-be leaders) and not
enough followers.

Great ideas exist in individuals, but they are unable to work together as a team. Yet that is exactly what the majority of universities and organization consistently promote.

------
On another note, waiterrant.blogspot.com is a great blog.
Great stories, great writing. It was one of Blogger's "Blogs
of Note." Go check it out!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home