Rants and Raves

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I was going to write more boring movie reviews on Spiderman 2, Two Brothers, and Anchorman, but I think I’ll just quickly mention that
· Spiderman 2 was great, better than the first. 
· Two Brothers was cute and sweet, and a must see for anyone that loves tigers.
· Anchorman was so stupid that it was funny, but I still have to say it’s a rental.
 
Now I’ll move on to The Alchemist, I, Robot, and Ebenezer.
 
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is timeless and entertaining, exotic yet simple.  The story breaks down the journey we all take to find the most meaningful treasures in our lives into steps that are natural yet magical.  It is about the faith, power, and courage we all have within us to pursue the intricate path of a Personal Legend, a path charted by destiny but obscured by distraction.  Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy, shows how along the way we learn to trust our hearts, read the seemingly inconspicuous signs, and understand that as we look to fulfill a dream, it looks to find us just the same.  The story has the comic charm and dramatic tension of a fairy tale, but it is full of wisdom as well, about becoming self-empowered and believing in your dreams.  It's a really good book, and I highly recommend it.
 
Ironically, I, Robot is also about following your destiny and having purpose in your life.  The movie, “suggested by” Isaac Asimov's book of short stories, is about the role robots will play in humankind’s future.  Robots have to serve humans and cannot harm them.  They have to protect humans even at the risk of their own destruction. However, one of the robots develops a mind and a will of its own, and has the capacity to love, suffer, and dream about the future.  The action scenes are pretty much routine CGI, but I think the plot is interesting and thought-provoking.
 
Finally, on Sunday, Andy and I went to visit Ebenezer Baptist Church, Martin Luther King’s historic home church.  They were celebrating their 39th Annual Women’s Day to honor the women of Ebenezer.  Their special speaker was Rev. Dr. Barbara Lewis King, “One of the 100 most fascinating women of the 20th century” who has been a guest on the Oprah Winfrey Show and CNN.  One of her messages was that Christians are always taught to “love thy neighbor” and put others first, and that loving yourself is selfish.  Yet, learning to love yourself and take care of yourself is a prerequisite to loving others.  How can you love and take care of others when you don’t even know how to love and take care of yourself?  Love yourself, take care of yourself, and discover your inner light, then you will be ready to love and take care of others around you.  I feel she makes a very good point.


6 Comments:

  • i agree that loving yourself and loving others are not mutually exclusive. we need to do both. with God, we have value!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/07/2005 3:35 PM  

  • hmm… i'll give it another 2 z's.
    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/07/2005 3:35 PM  

  • Hi again! I, Robot, very good, i loved it! But since you love movies, i thought i'd suggest Shade. It's a goooooooood movie bout card hustling and gambling and mafia and stuff. Its a rental, go get it!! ok, i need to study, enjoy the movie. (if you watch it)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/07/2005 3:35 PM  

  • thanks for the recommendation :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/07/2005 3:36 PM  

  • hi, im posting again, cuz ive seen i, robot now. i thought the movie was pretty cool overall - entertaining and decently made. it also had some of the main themes that scifi likes to address - what does it mean to be human and what is one's destiny? are we limited by what we are? if you watch the "cool" movie bladerunner, it also asks those same questions, especially about what it means to be human. also star trek: the next generation w/ the character data.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/07/2005 3:36 PM  

  • isn't it time for another boring post?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/07/2005 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home