Rants and Raves

Saturday, May 29, 2004

So, Andy wants me to read ‘The Purpose Driven Life.’ I read the first section today, and already have some problems with it. First of all, the author says, “If I handed you an invention you had never seen before, you wouldn’t know its purpose, and the invention itself wouldn’t be able to tell you either. Only the creator or the owner’s manual could reveal its purpose.” I completely disagree, I don’t think that you need to read the manual or ask the creator to figure the purpose of something. I think you should be able to use your critical thinking skills and figure it out yourself. For example, if I gave you a toaster, wouldn’t you play with it? push down the lever? burn your finger? figure out that you could toast thing in it? hmm..what would fit in the slots? ooh..maybe bread!

Next, he says, “I once got lost in the mountains. When I stopped to ask for directions to the campsite, I was told you can’t get there form here, you must start from the other side of the mountain.” Again, I disapprove of this. Just because they tell you that you can’t go that way, you stop? Why don’t you try to discover a new path? Why don’t you try to prove them wrong? Don’t just give up! You will never achieve anything great in your life with that kind of attitude. Did the Wright brothers give up when they were told people can’t fly? Did they quit when their first few attempts were unsuccessful? We wouldn’t have any inventions, if people just did what they were told. Heck, there wouldn’t even be a United States of America!

Don’t get me wrong, I think that our life has a purpose. I agree that “unless you assume a God, the question of life’s purpose is meaningless.” I believe that I was meant to go to Berkeley and major in biology, decide I dislike it, and come to Emory to study public health. I know that whatever career I end up doing is what I am meant to do and whoever I end up marrying is who I am meant to be with. I don’t need some book to tell me how to find direction in my life. I can’t believe this book is the #1 New York Times Bestseller. Okay, let the bashing begin.

2 Comments:

  • as you said, our life has a purpose. and THAT is what the book talks about. it defines and outlines our purpose as christians. and i think we do need a reminder about that, because all christians forget or ignore it from time to time.

    and that is why the book is a huge bestseller - not the only reason, of course. but hopefully the main reason. but i do hope u'll keep reading, because i think there are lots of valuable things in the book.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/06/2005 8:53 PM  

  • If I gave you access to the software product I work with, would you be able to figure it out? Could you fly a plane if someone gave you one tomorrow?

    Do you drive in the right lane? Do you light matches and throw them in a dry forest? Do you believe in gravity? Do you believe that if you mix ammonium and nitrate and shake real hard you won't blow up?

    If you get lost on the road do you not stop and ask for directions from a local? "Just because they tell you that you can’t go that way, you stop? Why don’t you try to discover a new path?" I hope that Andy has a lot of patience and is willing to drive around with you until you discover your new path…

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/06/2005 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home