Rants and Raves

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

I guess it's time to update considering it's been almost a month already. I've been really busy settling into my new apartment and getting adjusted to working life, but my job has been great so far. I am responsible for developing business plans and facilitating meetings for projects related to strategic planning for the hospital, clinics, school of medicine, school of nursing, school of public health, and primate research center. Sound impressive, huh? But it's not really. I pretty much do a ton of research online and go to a bunch of meetings. I'm learning a lot though.

And surprisingly, I have less free time now than when I was in school. I get home from work everyday around 6pm, go work out (although walking up four flights of stairs carrying a week's worth of groceries is quite a work out for me), make a quick dinner, eat dinner, watch tv (all my coworkers are tv junkies like me), and it's time for bed already. Pretty pathetic, huh?

I think you always miss what you don't have anymore. When I was in school, I couldn't wait to start working. No more homework, no more tests, so much free time! And now that I'm working, I miss school. No class in the mornings, no class on Fridays, so much free time! I need to learn to appreciate what I currently have.

6 Comments:

  • "I need to learn to appreciate what I currently have."

    boy, do i wish for that to happen…

    haha, just kidding :)

    nice entry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 9:33 AM  

  • hahaha… andy, stop selfishly advertising yourself!

    Aileen, you miss one key detail in the working world. You work and get paid for the time you work :) In school, you paid other people to assign you work.

    I have to admit my life revolves around working out in the mornings (just started that about 2 weeks ago), going to work, coming home and having dinner, then TV until I go to bed. But that's life… we can do so much more with our limited free time, but we rather spend quality boob tube time :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 9:33 AM  

  • Working out in the morning is a huge time saver. That frees up the evening for all sorts of activities, like watching more TV.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 9:34 AM  

  • Exactly Steve! that's why i work out in the mornings.. by the time evening rolls around i have to really want to exercise to get it in. B/c dinner and tv are so much more important to me :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 9:34 AM  

  • but in order to wake up around 6am to go work out, don't you have to go to bed by like 10pm? so isn't your evening shot either way?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 9:44 PM  

  • Nope, I still go to bed around 11-midnight. The thing is as soon as you start working out, you actually do have more energy and require less sleep. A month ago, I wouldn't be able to function on such little sleep most of the week, but now.. it's actually pretty good. Granted, I'm still tired throughout the day, but that's more of a combo of a little less sleep and working out in the morning.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home